Thursday 24 January 2013

Significance by Shelly Crane

Significance (Significance, #1)
Add to Goodreads
Maggie is a seventeen year old girl who's had a bad year. She was smart and on track, but then her mom left, her dad is depressed, she's graduating - barely - and her boyfriend of almost three years dumped her for a college football scholarship. Lately she thinks life is all about hanging on by a thread and is gripping tight with everything she has.
Then she saves the life of Caleb and instantly knows there's something about him that's intriguing. But things change when they touch, sparks ignite. Literally.
They imprint with each other and she sees their future life together flash before her eyes. She learns that not only is she his soul mate, and can feel his heartbeat in her chest, but there is a whole other world of people with gifts and abilities that she never knew existed. She herself is experiencing supernatural changes unlike anything she's ever felt before and she needs the touch of his skin to survive.
Now, not only has her dad come out of his depression to be a father again, and a pain as well, but Caleb's enemies know he's imprinted and are after Maggie to stop them both from gaining their abilities and take her from him.
Can Caleb save her or will they be forced to live without each other after just finding one another?

My thoughts 

Aww, this was just the sweetest book! I haven't felt that warm and fluffy inside since I read Anna and the French Kiss. And honestly I wasn't sure I would feel that again anytime soon. But Significane definitely proved me wrong. I couldn't put it down, and I found myself reading through the night to finish it. 
It all begins when Maggie meets Caleb, and feel a jolt go through her, and she sees a part of their future together. They've imprinted. And it turns out Maggie and Caleb are soul mates, and they cannot live without each other. Literally. Caleb is an Ace, and Maggie is about to find out what that means, and what her role in this new world is. 
The Aces was a unique concept, and I was really intrigued by the idea. I don't think I'll say more about it, as I think it was interesting to learn about along with Maggie. But I can say, that I think it was pretty cool the things they go do, and how connected they were after imprinting. 

I loved Caleb and Maggie, and their was relationship was amazing. Despite of them being imprinted and therefore "naturally" in love, it didn't seemed forced or rushed. Maggie wasn't just giving in without question, and I think she wondered about their relationship just like any ordinary teenager in love; did he really like her, or was is only because of the imprint? would he still like her, when he got to know her properly? 

There was a lot of focus on their relationship and how it evovled, and nothing much happened in the book besides that. There wasn't really that much action or big drama. But it didn't matter. Just seeing these two together, learning about Aces and abillities was wonderful. I liked that those moments of them being together wasn't limited because of a need for action or like small passages inbetween everything else. 

I liked all the side characters and how they all had a role to play. I loved Caleb's family and how strong their ties were. And I loved Gran, who wouldn't.

Gran, I'm only gonna ask this once. Please don't have sex talks with me, ok? Especially with Maggie in the room. Do you think we could do that?  

The only thing that annoyed me about this book was the author's constant use of the word 'ok'. She used it all the time. Normally I don't really mind overuse of a word, but this was just too much. Sometimes it felt like the characters didn't know any other word than 'ok', and it was easily used at least ten times on some pages. But as this is a minor detail, it by any means didn't affect the story or anything, it was just a bit annoying.

As you can see from the above I loved this book, and I'll definitely recommend it, if you like a sweet read, that makes you all happy inside. I'll certainly be reading the sequel, Accordance.

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ 

2 comments:

  1. Thanking you for bringing this book to my attention. It sounds really cute and different. I like this whole soul mate thing and I can't wait to see what an Ace actually is. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete