Sunday 25 November 2012

My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent

My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1)
Add to Goodreads
She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.
Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.
From Goodreads.

My thoughts 

I don't really know what I think about this book. I enjoyed it a great deal, some parts were definitely pageturning, but I wasn't that into the story or the characters. It do think the story was unique, and I've never read anything like it before, but I also thought the whole concept was a bit.. I dunno.. weird? Sometimes I didn't think it made much sense, and I was just like huh? But in the end most of it was neatly explained, and I was almost satisfied. Maybe it's because I'm just not that familiar with the death/reaper thing.
I liked Kaylee. She was a rational heroine, who were quick to put things together, which was very nice. She sometimes jumped to some weird conclusions, but I couldn't blame her, because I probably would too, if I experienced the same things. I think she was a strong person, and even though she had to make some tough decisions, I liked that she stood by them afterwards. I especially liked how she handled things, that she accepted them and acted on them, and that she went forward instead of whining about things she wouldn't be able to change anyway.

I didn't think you got to know either Nash or Tod very well, there just didn't seem to be much focus on the character traits, or enough how they were like. From what I learned about Tod, I think he's a very interesting character, and I might want to learn more about him, if I continue to read the series. I don't think I got to know nearly enough about Nash, except for him smelling good (really Kaylee, you noticed that a lot!). So I'd definitely have liked to know the characters better, and I wish that Vincent would have used a bit more time on revealing something more about them.

Also, the romance, I think the that was very.. sudden? I mean, everything happened so fast. Kaylee and Nash were just starting to know each other, and they were suddenly deeply in love, and neither of them seemed to question anything about the relationship or just the other person. Odd. I would have liked a sort of development there.

Am I going to read the next book in the series? I don't know. I'm not going to rush to read it, and I'm not particular inclined to read it, but if it should ever somehow come my way, I definitely think it might read it.

☆ ☆ 

No comments:

Post a comment

I'd love to hear what you think, so feel free to leave a comment below :)