Friday 13 September 2013

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

13206760
Add to Goodreads
The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.


My thoughts

Scarlet picks up right where Cinder ended and this book is a retelling of the little red riding hood, and what a retelling! I really liked Cinder, but I think Scarlet was even better. It was a bit slow in the beginning, but then things got real and I could. not. put. the. book. down. I was on the edge of my seat, holding my breath and trying to turn the pages fast enough. 

Scarlet's grandmother has disappeared without a trace, but the police has just dropped the case, leaving Scarlet hopeless and furious. Then she meets Wolf, a street fighter, who might be able to help her, but can she trust him? In the mean time Cinder has escaped prison and is trying to find a way to temporary safety. But what should she do next? And can she stop Queen Levana before she claims Earth?

Scarlet was a great heroine. She was strong, independent and had quite a temper. She'd do anything to save her grandmother, and she had to go through a lot to find her. I think she was very brave, and I liked how she stood her ground and didn't take anything from anybody. 
I had a had a hard time figuring Wolf out. He seemed tough and dangerous, but was at the same time so shy and cautious around Scarlet. He was not what I expected, but I really liked him a lot. His and Scarlet's interaction were my favorite parts of the books, and even though they'd only known each other for a couple of (very eventful) days, their attraction seemed so believable and I couldn't help rooting for them. 

I was happy to see Cinder again and following her next steps. Along with her is Captain Thorne and he was just hilarious. There was even a Kai cameo and we get to see some of his struggles after the events in CinderI loved how the stories of Cinder and Scarlet were connected and finding those little clues to both of their stories. It was also interesting seeing more of the world Meyer has created, and she makes it all come alive with her amazing writing. The plot of the series is expanding, and Scarlet had a lot going on. I really like how each book in the series has its own story while still being a part of the overall story. I can't wait to read the continuation in the third book, Cress

Overall, this was an amazing book. I love Meyer's writing, the world and all the characters. If you haven't yet started this series I highly recommend it.

☆ ☆ ☆ 

1 comment:

  1. I like this one a bit more than Cinder, too! Glad you enjoyed it!

    Katy @ a blighted one

    ReplyDelete