Sunday 14 October 2012

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Add to Goodreads
Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…

My thoughts 

I don't really know where to begin with this review. This book was freaking awesome! I was like super glued to the pages while I read. So I was kinda annoyed at the paper I needed to finish when I had just received this book. Grrr. Anyway, I was completly sucked into the book, and I felt as if I was on a emotional rollercoaster. And as I have seen many comment about in their reviews, and which I very much agree on, is that Onyx doesn't feel like a 'middle book'. You know, where there just need to be some filling between books (yeah, I know there are five books in the series, so technically it's not a middle book), but JLA has made this a book of its own, and I loved that. The things that happen are important, and will have, I think, a significant impact on the following books.

Onyx picks up right where Obisidian ended, and continues the story as Katy and Daemon try to figure out what this connection between them is. Katy is also trying to find out what she feels about Daemon, and if Daemon's sudden atraction to her is just a part of the connection. Best of all, they haven't given up on their constant banter and of course their intense interaction. I have to admit, severeal times I was internally screaming kiss already! Then in comes Blake, the new apperently hot student who quickly eyes Katy. And Daemon did not like that. Neither did I for that matter. I was totally on Daemon's team telling Kat not to spend time with Blake and I kinda wish Daemon had smashed his head in from the beginning. But Katy doesn't listen, and I did understand her reasons not to, I really did. And I loved that even though you may not like her choices you fully understand why she does it.
But there are rarely peace around the Luxen, and as if alien bad guys wasn't enough, the DOD is now suddenly everywhere, curious about what exactly happened the night Katy and Daemon where connected. And man, were they just creepy!
So Katy didn't have an easy time in Onyx. Poor Kitten.

I loved Katy in this book, and she was her very good old self, still not taking any shit from Daemon or anyone, and definitely kicking some butt. Yay! But I do think she was a bit stubborn with all the 'Daemon is only attracted to me because of the connection'. While I was annoyed about it, I also liked that she didn't just forget how he treated her in Obsidian, and that she couldn't believe he could just like her afterwards, so.. But she is warming up to him, and I loved watching her slowly acknoledge the feeling she has for him.
One of the best things was that Kat was still blogging in Onyx, which might be a small part of the story, but I liked that JLA kept this part of her in it. That she doesn't throw her hobbies away or anything.

Daemon was... Okay, I'll start again. Daemon was just.. Ahem. Daemon was back, but he has changed a lot from Obsidian. Admittedly, he was a big jerk in the last book, but he was so sweet in Onyx. Seriously, sometimes I just wanted to hug him. He was very nice to Katy and protecting of her, but don't fret he has still got that Daemon attitude, and he still get under Katy's skin. But I think we finally get to see the real Daemon, and he is simply swoon-worhty.
I have to add, it was hilarious how he made fun of Blake, and though Blake could stand his ground, Daemon was still the winner. Take that, Biff! Erm, I mean Blake.

Now I just can't wait for Opal. I want to read now. Like right now. Or more like yesterday. Argh, just give me the book already. Opal. Opal. OPAL! Okay, I'll calm down now. *sigh* 
So, would I recommend this? Definitely! But I have to admit that I still love Obsidian the most.

☆ ☆ ☆ 

No comments:

Post a comment

I'd love to hear what you think, so feel free to leave a comment below :)