Sunday 30 September 2012

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Add to Goodreads
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . . 
Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

My thoughts 

I simply loved this book, and I was totally mesmerized by the universe that Clare has created. It's unique, fascinating and exciting. It simply had everything and even more. Clare is a magnificent writer. She makes everything seem so real and believable, and all the characters in the book felt like real people.

The story was great, I simply could not put the book down, while I was reading it. I liked the whole introduction to the shadowhunters, and how everything is slowly uncovered. And I love a book where you're constantly guessing how it all fit together, just to be suprised most of the time anyway. There were several plot twists I hadn't seeing coming (and that's always something), and after that last part of the book I was completely shellshocked. What a turning point!  

Clary was an awesome heroine. She was willful, independent, funny and lovable. I liked that she acted when something happened and didn't hung back because it might get dangerous. I never thought any of her choices was annoying or hare-brained, because you understood why she wanted to do it, and that was a definite plus. I also really liked her voice in the story and how she seemed to describe everything in colors. And I loved that her thoughts were expressed in her drawings, which I think gave a different approach to her mind and feelings. She has defintitely become one of my favourite heroines!
And then there's Jace. I'm almost wordless. Jace was snarky, arrogant and kickass. And did I mention he's also super hot and extremely swoon-worthy? He certainly is. Yet underneath he was a complex and deep  person, who fought hard between what he felt and what he was taught to feel and believe. And when he's around Clary he appeares so different, letting her get glimpses of the real Jace. And I liked that guy a lot.

Futhermore, I loved all the minor characters who all seemed to have their own unique part and contribution to the story.

It's the first book in the series, and I going to warn you about something. When you start reading this, you need to have the next two books close by, because when you finish this you'll crave more. At least I did. In fact I read the first three books in about five days, and I don't really recall anything from those days except the books. Yeah, I kinda turn into a zombie when I'm around great books. 
Overall, this book is one of the best book I've read this year. Actually it's one of the best books I've EVER read. So if you haven't read it go read it. Like now!

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ 

No comments:

Post a comment

I'd love to hear what you think, so feel free to leave a comment below :)