Friday 28 June 2013

This Girl by Colleen Hoover

This Girl (Slammed, #3)
Add to Goodreads
Layken and Will’s love has managed to withstand the toughest of circumstances and the young lovers, now married, are beginning to feel safe and secure in their union. As much as Layken relishes their new life together, she finds herself wanting to know everything there is to know about her husband, even though Will makes it clear he prefers to keep the painful memories of the past where they belong. Still, he can’t resist his wife’s pleas and so he begins to untangle his side of the story, revealing for the first time his most intimate feelings and thoughts, retelling both the good and bad moments, and sharing a few shocking confessions of his own from the time when they first met.

In This Girl, Will tells the story of their complicated relationship from hispoint of view. Their future rests on how well they deal with the past in this final installment of the beloved Slammed series.

My thoughts

If you think this book is just a retelling of Slammed from Will's POV you're wrong. It is soo much more. First of all, it begins right after Point of Retreat ended on Will and Lake's honeymoon, where Lake asks Will to tell her his version of the events during Slammed. The story then shifts between Will's retelling of Slammed and the honeymoon, which means we get a good few glimpses of what happens to them after Point of Retreat. I really liked Will's POV in the last book and I very much did so too in This Girl. Okay, that's a lie. I absolutely loooved Will's POV, and I liked how different he reacted to all those heartbreaking events in Slammed. And there can be no doubt about how much he loves Lake. 
Granted, there are many repetitons in This Girl, because it is after all a retelling of Slammed. I didn't really mind, though, for seeing things from Will's POV made it a different reading experience altogether.

Reading Slammed I often wondered what Will was thinking and why he did what he did. What was he thinking in the hallway, or when Lake agreed to go on a date with another guy, or when Lake recited her poem in class and the one in Club N9ne? All these questions were answered and then some more. There were also extra scenes that weren't mentioned in either Slammed or Point of Retreat which I loved! My favorite part, though, were definitely the ending where... Yeah, I'm so not going to tell you that, cuz that would be too much of a spoiler, that you really wouldn't want. 

As usual Colleen Hoover's writing was just amazing. Even though I knew exactly what was going to happen, I went through all the emotions again. The utter joy of their meeting and their first date, the heartwrenching frustration, the sadness, some more frustration, and finally the happiness when everything is solved. Even though I'm a bit sad that there won't be anymore Will or Lake, I'm so very happy and satisfied with the ending of the series. This Girl was simply the perfect ending to an amazing series that I won't soon forget.

If you've read the previous books you must not miss This Girl!

“I lie back on my pillow and think back to that day. The day that I fell for my wife.”

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ 

No comments:

Post a comment

I'd love to hear what you think, so feel free to leave a comment below :)